Glory

This week for class we watched “Glory.” It is about the 54th Massachusettes Regiment in the Civil War. They were an all black regiment. I thought the movie was good, but it is not something I would sit down and watch for fun one afternoon. For a movie based on actual letters there are several things they got wrong. Cary Elwes’ character is made up and all of the black characters are stereotypical. Robert Gould Shaw had to be persuaded to take the job as the captain and he was the one to tell the soldiers they should refuse pay until they were paid an equal amount. The battles and uniforms appeared acurate and the final assualt on Fort Wagner was right. They did lose almost half of their men including Captain Shaw and he was buried in a common grave with the rest of the men. However they did not volunteer to lead the charge on the fort. My biggest problem with the story is that the characters were wrtiien in such a way that I didn’t connect with them and become invested in their outcome. It was one of those stories where you and sit and watch it til the end to find out what happens but you don’t care because the characters haven’t drawn you in.